Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

install count accuracy?

§
Posted: 2016-04-05

install count accuracy?

Hello, all. I made a script for users of a website, and one of the people who commented on it there was curious why there are supposedly 0 Total Installs if they and a few other users have added it to their browsers. I wasn't sure. IIRC, I think userscripts.org had a post or something about how their install counter was, at best, not exact, and at worst, falsifiable. Does GF have known issues with its counter? Or does it perhaps take a while for the numbers to update?

This is the script in question. (I'm not worried about the low numbers on my other scripts, since they're mostly just postmortem migrations from userscripts.org.)

(And it's not that big of a deal. Though of course I don't want my scripts to seem to look like they're some sketchy ghost town.)

§

Funny, 0 installs but 5 updates in the last 4 days. [1]

{
    "2016-04-02": {
        "installs": 0,
        "update_checks": 1
    },
    "2016-04-03": {
    },
    "2016-04-04": {
        "update_checks": 2
    },
    "2016-04-05": {
    }
}

Greasyfork updates the numbers of my scripts daily. Only for testing: I installed today your script, so tomorrow should appear at least 1 install.

§

Thanks for the response. Looks like maybe your install has already shown up (though, technically, it's already Tuesday where I'm at). Are update_checks related to my updating of the script/description? (I know I've updated the description a few times.) Or are they users pinging GF to see if the script has new versions?

§

Yes, looks like my install has counted.
And update_checks are the count of users pinging Greasyfork to update for a new version.

§
Posted: 2016-04-08

Install counts are the people who clicked the green Install button on your script with JS enabled. If you install it any other way, it doesn't count. It counts an IP at most once per day.

Update checks are indeed Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey or whatever checking for updates, again counting an IP at most once per day.

§
Posted: 2016-04-09

Ok. I would've thunk that most of the target users would be using the green install button (and JS enabled), but I could be mistaken. In any case, thanks for the reply!

§
Posted: 2023-02-12
Edited: 2023-02-12

Install counts are the people who clicked the green Install button on your script with JS enabled. If you install it any other way, it doesn't count. It counts an IP at most once per day.

Update checks are indeed Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey or whatever checking for updates, again counting an IP at most once per day.

Hey Jason, if I link to the same destination user.js the green button sends users but put the link elsewhere (say GitHub), will install count still rise?

§
Posted: 2023-02-14

Hey Jason, if I link to the same destination user.js the green button sends users but put the link elsewhere (say GitHub), will install count still rise?

No.

§
Posted: 2023-03-08

No.

If link to user.js is on GF description page, does it still count? Or is logic tied to button event

§

It's only clicking the green button.

§

Ok

Sign in to post a reply.