Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

How to know if script is malicious

§
Posted: 2014-03-05
Edited: 2014-03-05

How to know if script is malicious

How is a newbie without any Javascript knowledge like myself, supposed to detect anything malicious in a script?
Are there some basic key code bits you can inform us to look for?
Do we just rely on this forum to investigate and report?
But what if I already installed a script that no one has noticed anything malicious?
Will an automated system be enough to block anything malicious?

§

Without JavaScript knowledge, it would be pretty hard to tell. If you suspect any particular script, by all means, report it in the forum and people can take a look.

§

An automated system for detection would help, but would by no means stop everything--only obvious stuff. Search the script for stuff like "cookie" or stuff about Facebook when the script shouldn't have anything to do with Facebook. The best way is to have someone knowledgeable review the code.

§

I intend to automatically detect malicious code in whatever way possible. Already it's watching for the kind of Facebook auto-liker scripts that are all over userscripts.org. I need some examples of other kinds of scripts to know what to look for...

§

Maybe in USO ?
Spam and malware

§
Posted: 2014-03-06
Edited: 2014-03-06

Thanks for all responses!

decembre
Thanks for the links decembre I will read through it later. Seems helpful.

QUOTE: CletusC says The best way is to have someone knowledgeable review the code.

Seems to be CletusC but it would clog the forum with many users needing help.

Jason you would need to pull in several moderators to just handle all the help needed for detecting malicious scripts I would think.

Sign in to post a reply.