Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

New rule regarding reposting scripts

§
Posted: 2019-03-20

New rule regarding reposting scripts

https://greasyfork.org/en/help/code-rules

Even in cases not violating the copyright rule, reposts of scripts that are already on Greasy Fork are not allowed unless they are improving upon the original.

This is in response to the endless "(GAME) HACKS BY (USER)", where it's the same script over and over with a find and replace on the user name.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2019-03-20
Edited: 2019-03-20

Can you show this info when a script is uploaded in case its name is similar to an existing one? There might be existing algos to calculate similarity, but even a simple running (moving window?) char-by-char delta diff could work.

§
Posted: 2019-03-22

I'm not sure that I could do that in such a way that would not prevent a bunch of legitimate cases.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2019-03-22

My idea was about showing the news in potentially applicable cases without applying any actual restrictions.

§
Posted: 2019-03-25

@JasonBarnabe said: https://greasyfork.org/en/help/code-rules

Even in cases not violating the copyright rule, reposts of scripts that are already on Greasy Fork are not allowed unless they are improving upon the original.

I assume this is not retroactive.

(In the past, I've flagged several scripts that are literally copy/pastes, they even kept the original authors name in the contents. There were no discernible features that were improvements--not even attempts to update the scripts for e.g. perennial Google Search changes--the new authors were just making personal customizations.)

What're people's opinion on these ideas on ways that new authors can simply signify that they're borrowing an existing script, w/o needing to make (few, if any) improvements to it:

• pre-/append their alias or some unique abbreviation in the script's Title e.g. GreasyFork Bullshit Filter [Azaz]
  • pre-/append their some descriptive identifier in the script's Title e.g. [2018.Jan.16] GreasyFork Bullshit Filter
§
Posted: 2019-03-25

Thank you for ending the spam!

§
Posted: 2019-03-29

@Azazello said: I assume this is not retroactive.

This is retroactive.

What're people's opinion on these ideas on ways that new authors can simply signify that they're borrowing an existing script, w/o needing to make (few, if any) improvements to it:

If it's already posted here, and they didn't improve on it, they should not repost it. What's the point?

§
Posted: 2019-05-24

@JasonBarnabe said: https://greasyfork.org/en/help/code-rules

Even in cases not violating the copyright rule, reposts of scripts that are already on Greasy Fork are not allowed unless they are improving upon the original. Update madalin stunt cars 2 full version. This is in response to the endless "(GAME) HACKS BY (USER)", where it's the same script over and over with a find and replace on the user name.

I'm not sure that I could do that in such a way that would not prevent a bunch of legitimate cases.

Sign in to post a reply.