fetlife_all_members (ASL+role+status filter)

greasemonkey script to filter fetlife members when it's possible. Search by name, gender, role, age, location or status.

< Feedback on fetlife_all_members (ASL+role+status filter)

Review: OK - script works, but has bugs

§
Posted: 2015-04-24
Edited: 2015-04-24

Had my account locked due to this.

"Hey there!
I’m a caretaker with FetLife, and I’m writing to you regarding your account.
I’m sorry to say, but we’ve locked out your account, as we’ve noticed a high amount of traffic coming from your profile. Oftentimes, this is high amount of traffic is caused by using a script or a browser extension on FetLife, things that are strictly against our TOU.
Things like this are not allowed on FetLife for a few reasons. For one, it can violate the privacy and security of the site and it’s members. It also can bog down our servers, making the site less fun for all. :-(
We ask that you please remove the browser extension, script, or program from your computer immediately, and any data that you gained from using such a program from anywhere that you may have saved it.
We would also appreciate it if you could let us know what it was you were using and for what purpose.
Email us back and let us know these things have been done, and we can look into getting you back onto the site. Thanks for your understanding."

The person then went on to mention:
"We’ve recently implemented a new process that more thoroughly stops those kinds of scripts, which is probably why you’ve not run into trouble before now.""

I had opened multiple cities and ran the script on each. I have done this before a few times with no issues. I will stay with doing one city at a time, but maybe even that will be flagged.

§
Posted: 2015-04-28

Since my account was flagged, I had not used the script. I tried it just now doing so only on one city. My account is flagged again.

This script is no longer safe to use, unfortunately.

bewamAuthor
§
Posted: 2015-05-02

I would have been preferable that they implement a good searching system than spending time to restraint people. Their search system doesn't even have the simplest good option.
The lack of functionality makes this kind of thing happen.
Three year ago, the ASL search has been suggested and it is still pending.

We would also appreciate it if you could let us know what it was you were using and for what purpose.
Email us back and let us know these things have been done, and we can look into getting you back onto the site. Thanks for your understanding.

I supposed you did.

I had opened multiple cities and ran the script on each.

How many ? Don't you imagine you're asking too much ?

In any case, I'm sorry for you and the possible death of good times, yes, "fun".
Don't use the script anymore, then.
Thanks for the warning.
There would be no way to create a traffic compatible script as people can leave the lists we're looking in.

§
Posted: 2015-05-03

Yeah, I am very disappointed with their search system... can't even really call it a search system, honestly, because it is so lacking.

I said I was using a script that gave basic features such as age, gender, and role. I didn't mention it specifically by name, but it's unlikely they didn't already know about yours and any others.

About 16-18 cities. I had ran big searches like that multiple times before with no problems.

Back to manually clicking through hundreds of pages to hopefully find someone interesting to me.

bewamAuthor
§
Posted: 2015-05-04

16 concurrent search is a really huge amount. I'd said 2 max would be nice or even too big. ;) 16*~300k => 4.8 Mo at the same time. It's a service killing for little companies. It's the size of a good mp3.

I'd put a timer, a limiter and even a warning.

Thanks for your feedback.

§
Posted: 2015-05-10

Hey, bewarn. Have you checked out the script at https://github.com/meitar/fetlife-aslsearch ? Supposedly the author has implemented a "Stealth" option so as to not cause extra HTTP traffic, however I am not chancing my account in using it since that author is a troll and disables important search features intentionally. Maybe the code will help you, though?

bewamAuthor
§

No author is "a troll"

bewamAuthor
§

"They" try to do our best.

Sign in to post a reply.